Summer Engineering Academy (SEA)
The Summer Engineering Academy (SEA) at the College of Engineering of the University of South Alabama is a great opportunity to discover all engineering fields and get hands-on engineering experience.
SEA is for any rising 10th and 11th grader. We will consider 9th and 12th graders if space allows.
Highly motivated, inquisitive rising 10th and 11th graders are invited to a one-week non-residential experience at Shelby Hall.
- June 26th - June 30th
- 9:00 am – 3:00 pm
- Friday, June 30th ends at 2:00pm
- Registration Fee: $100/person (credit card online)
- Non-refundable unless not selected
- Lunch is provided
- Housing is not provided
- Exposure to electrical, civil, computer and mechanical engineering and their subdisciplines
- Exploration of engineering by hands-on activities
- Interactions with engineering students, faculty and professional engineers
- Group and individual engineering
- A taste of college life
- Spend a week exploring research and careers in engineering
- Perform hands-on engineering projects
- Learn how to stay organized with your engineering adventures
- Acquire programming skills that you can use in your adventures in science, technology, engineering, arts, and math
- Get to know the bare-bones of automation (microcontrollers, sensors, actuators) and apply it to build useful engineering systems
Required Documentation to be submitted with application:
- Application (select here to be redirected to form)
- Copy of your current report card
- Recommendation Letter (preferably from a science or mathematics teacher)
- One-paragraph essay describing your personal and career interests
- Photo Release Form (see link within upper right menu)
- USA Insurance Form (see link within upper right menu)
Please note: All documents should be combined into one PDF file and emailed to: Engineering@southalabama.edu
You will be notified if you are selected or not by June 16, 2023.
***Scholarships are available to those who demonstrate need and meet the criteria. Please be prepared to clearly explain the need for this assistance. A scholarship will cover a portion of the registration fee. Please contact Mr. Derik Wolfe for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline to apply: June 9, 2023