Advising Services

▼   Review of Transfer Credit

Once you apply for admission to the University, an official transfer credit evaluation is done by the Admissions Office. You may check which courses were accepted for transfer on the PAWS system.

For more details for transfer students, go to the USA Transfer Evaluation System, which has information about Alabama community colleges, Pensacola State College, Okaloosa-Walton Community College, and Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College.

▼   Scheduling Classes

We will help you put together a schedule that includes the necessary courses for your program. Several factors need to be considered, such as placement in classes, prerequisites, course load if you are working or have family obligations, etc.

Get the facts about PAWS registration by attending the orientation for new students and by meeting with your academic advisor. Also, check with the Office of the Registrar for details. 

▼   Drops and Withdrawals

Each term there is a deadline to drop or withdraw from a class. Discuss with your instructor and with us the decision to drop a class. It may be that dropping delays your chances of graduating on time. The grade of "F" or "U" is recorded for a course abandoned without an official drop. 

Students may add, change to audit, or drop classes on the PAWS system on the second and third day of classes. After the third day of classes, you may still drop a course on the PAWS system, except for the last course in which you are enrolled. 

Complete withdrawal from the University involves withdrawing from all courses (even if you are enrolled in only one course). Forms for a complete withdrawal are obtained only in the Advising Office and you must check with your advisor. Signatures from several offices on campus are required to process a complete withdrawal.

▼   Academic Bankruptcy

If you have run into academic problems, we can discuss with you the option of declaring academic bankruptcy. If you are working on your first bachelor's degree, have been out of school for at least one calendar year, and are ready to readmit, you might consider taking this step. This is an opportunity to start over with a fresh GPA. 

Any courses that you have passed at South will not count toward your degree requirements, but will remain on your academic transcript. Transfer courses will still count toward your degree and are not affected by declaring academic bankruptcy.

Be aware, however, that the bankrupted courses still count in the determination of your cumulative GPA when applying to professional or graduate schools.

This decision is a one-time chance to begin again, but once you declare bankruptcy, you cannot change your mind. That’s why you must meet with your Allied Health advisor to discuss the implications of this decision. 

▼   Transient Approval

Check with your advisor about taking a course or courses at another college or university. Generally, courses in the major area of concentration cannot be taken elsewhere.

The transient approval form will indicate that you are a student in good standing at South, and it will list the course(s) you plan to take at the other institution and the equivalent course(s) here. The form will be mailed to the other school, with a copy sent to you and to the Registrar at South.

After completing the course(s) at the other school, you must request an official transcript to be sent to South for the class(es) to appear on your record here.

▼   Graduation Check Sheets

Come in for advising on a regular basis to avoid surprises on your graduation check sheet.

Students must apply for graduation at the Registrar's Office approximately 7 to 8 months prior to completion of all degree requirements. Deadlines for applications are published in the Bulletin and the Schedule of Classes. A fee is due at the time of application.

The Advising Office does the official graduation check after you apply for graduation.

This check sheet is mailed to your permanent address during the term prior to your last semester. It will list the remaining courses and hours needed to complete your degree. If you have questions about the remaining courses, contact your advisor.

▼   Change of Program

Unsure of your initial choice of a major?

Come talk it over with us. Consult with a faculty member or the chair of the department in the program to which you wish to change.

If you decide you want to make the change, complete the change of program form available in the Advising Office and pick up your counseling file to take to the new department. Keep in mind, however, that changing your program may extend your graduation date depending on the courses completed and the courses required for your new program.

▼   Referrals

Counseling and Wellness Center
Personal and vocational counseling services are available to students at no cost (except for nominal fees for career testing).

Careers Services Center
Assists students and alumni in all phases of career exploration, development, and the job search.

Center for Educational Accessibility & Disability Resources
Offers special services to students with disabilities (both physical and learning disabilities)

▼   Tutoring

University Writing Center
Math & Statistics Tutoring

For tutoring in other subjects, contact the individual department for assistance. A fee is usually charged.

▼   Honors Students

Students accepted into the Honors College must complete a number of honors-designated courses to receive special Honors recognition at graduation.

Your Allied Health advisor will monitor the honors requirements as you progress through your degree program.

▼   Student-Athletes

As student-athletes plan their courses for each semester, they must consult with their Allied Health advisor as well as the Athletic Advisors available in the Athletic Department. Completion of an Athletic Advising form is required prior to each term to best satisfy degree requirements and to meet NCAA guidelines.