International Travel

University employees who travel internationally to teach or conduct research should be aware of the possibility of export license requirements for items, materials, or equipment that they carry with them. Hand-carrying items, materials, or equipment outside of the U.S. (even temporarily) is considered an export. 

To reduce data insecurity and identity theft risks associated with international travel, the University offers loaner
laptops to employees traveling abroad. Traveling with a loaner laptop ensures that employees will have the
applications and information they need, while minimizing cybersecurity risks.  Travel Laptop Program

Depending on the destination and the equipment involved, an export license may be required.  In most cases, a license exception may be available, and is processed at the time of request for international travel.  The Office of Research Compliance and Assurance will make this determination and provide the appropriate documentation.

See list for sanctioned destinations.

Export Controls: Iran Sanctions Travel and Activities Guidance

Prior to traveling abroad there are three basic questions that university personnel must consider when determining if export controls apply to their travel:

Generally, travel to most countries is not a problem, however, travel to sanctioned or embargoed destinations is subject to federal licensing and trade sanction regulations which heavily regulate and sometimes prohibit travel and other interactions with such countries. 

Refer to the chart for the Export Control Classification Number (ECCN) for equipment most commonly taken abroad. 

  • Most commercially available basic software (such as Microsoft Office) is EAR99 and can be exported either individually or on your device without a license.  Do not take any kind of encryption products (beyond the normal Microsoft Office Suite). Some encryption items may require a license or a documented exception if the product(s) are listed on either the Commerce Control List or the United States Munitions List (USML).

 ECCNs for Common Travel Items*

*Do NOT use this chart for travel to Cuba, Iran, Sudan, Syria or North Korea

Dell Laptop (no encryption) 4A994 No Licensed Required (NLR)  
Mac Laptop 5A992 No Licensed Required (NLR)  
iPhones &iPads 5A992 No Licensed Required (NLR)  
Jump/Flash Drive (most) 3A991 No Licensed Required (NLR)  
Android Cell Phone/Tablets 5A992 No Licensed Required (NLR)  
Garmin GPS 7A994 No Licensed Required (NLR)  
BitLocker Encryption 5D992 No Licensed Required (NLR)  
GoPro Camera EAR99 No Licensed Required (NLR)  


Take only published, educational or research information intended for public distribution (such as a paper being presented at a conference, commercial software, and patent applications)

Do not take or share data or information that is in any way export-restricted, such as information about export-controlled technologies, proprietary information, or the results of a project not protected under the Fundamental Research Exclusion.  Sharing these types of information may constitute an unauthorized export.

Foreign Collaborations: Publicly available information or fundamental research can be shared with foreign colleagues so long as the recipients are not employees or representatives of the government of a sanctioned country, or restricted parties.  This includes normal academic peer-review or publishing processes.

Maintain effective control of any USA items or equipment in your possession.  This means you either retain physical possession of the item or you secure the item in such an environment as a hotel safe, or a locked or guarded meeting or conference facility.  Avoid using other computers to log into a USA network or website. Consider any information or electronic component that leaves your possession and visual control for more than two minutes, compromised.

Rule of Thumb: If you don't need it, don't take it with you!

In order to ensure compliance with OFAC regulations prohibiting the university from providing material or financial assistance to any blocked or sanctioned individual or entity, any university activity that involves payment to a non-U.S. person, business, or organization (e.g., international subcontracts, purchase of items from international vendors, or payments to research participants) must be verified against all appropriate sanctioned party and entity lists.