Before you start make sure you download the IRBnet Checklist. It will answer the vast majority of your questions.
|IRBNet Student Checklist|
|Checklist for New Project Submission for Faculty/Staff|
These instructions apply to ALL committees and ALL roles (PIs, committee members,
and key personnel ). This content is also available in a more visual format which
can be downloaded as a PDF: New User Registration Training Energizer (PDF).
- Go to https://www.irbnet.org
- Click: New User Registration (upper right hand corner)
- Enter your first and last name in the appropriate fields. (Please use appropriate capitalization as you register into the system; the system does not alphabetize names that begin with lower-case letters.)
- Create your Username - create a Username you will remember
- Create your Password (at least 8 characters); confirm your password, and enter a password hint.
- Click on Continue
- On the next screen, type "South Alabama" in the "Search for an organization" field and click "Search" OR scroll down and select "University of South Alabama" from the list on the screen.
- Review information for accuracy, edit if needed, then Click on Continue
- On the next screen, enter your telephone number and email address
- Click on Continue
- Click Register
- Click on Continue
- You will receive an email from IRBNet. The email will contain a link that you need to click on in order to activate your account.
- Once you click on the link, you will be able to enter your username and password in the IRBNet login page and access the site. (If this does not work the first time, close out of the IRBNet homepage and open it again: irbnet.org). Then enter your username and password and it should work.)
- Go to www.irbnet.org, and enter your Username and password to log in.
IRBNet New Project Instructions
These instructions apply to ALL committees and PIs and key personnel managing and submitting materials for PIs. This content is also available in a more visual format which can be downloaded as a PDF, from New Project Submission Training Energizer (PDF).
For committee specific information, please select one of the following links: IRB, IACUC, or IBC.
Step 1- Go to www.irbnet.org, and enter your Username and password to log in. First time users, click New User Registration and follow instructions above.
Step 2- Click Create New Project (left side of the screen). Complete the requested information about your project, the red asterisk indicates a required field. Click Continue.
Step 3- This brings you to the Designer page where you can build your project package:
a. Download blank forms: Use the dropdown menu from the "Select a Library" to select appropriate institution specific documents to download. Then use the "Select a Document" dropdown menu for documents which will include instruction sheets for IRBNet processes; project specific templates; and other forms which you can download, complete, and save to your computer.
b. Add documents in this Package: Click on Add New Document to browse your hard drive for completed documents and attach as required by specific type of study. Upload the required completed documents saved to your computer relating to this study (what you completed under Step 3a). You may attach as many documents as necessary. You may view, update, or delete documents any time before your submit the package.
c. Required document: Click on the Add New Document button to complete the on-line "IRB Part A" or “IACUC/IBC Application Form” wizard. When complete, it will automatically upload to your package.
NOTE: Every New Project should contain at least two documents:
For IRB: Part A (On-line Document) and Part B (Exempt OR Expedited/Full Board Application);
For IACUC & IBC: IACUC/IBC Application Form (On-line Document) and Protocol Form
Step 4- Click Share this Project (left side of the screen). University of South Alabama should be preselected. You can search and add other registered USA users. They must have registered with IRBNet. Use the search field by searching any part of the person's name. If the person has not yet registered, have them do so and return to share the project with them in IRBNet before final submission of the package for review. Descriptions for each level of access are provided on this page. Multiple users may be granted access (click Save after each person). Include anyone who made need to sign-off on the project.
Step 5- Click Send Project Mail to communicate with your Chair and/or other signatories (you can quickly send a message by checking the "Send Project Mail" box on the left, asking them to login to IRBNet to review and sign the project).
Step 6- Click Sign this Package (left side of the screen) and select your project role from the drop down Menu, then click Sign.
NOTE: If the PI is a student, a faculty advisor/mentor must be listed on the study and review the finalized documents in the package and sign electronically prior to submitting for review.
Step 7- THE KEY STEP- Be sure that your study is completely ready for review. Click Submit
this Package (left side of the screen). The IACUC will be the default choice, please change the committee for IRB or IBC submissions.
Step 8-a submission confirmation should be received via email. If not received please contact the appropriate committee to confirm submission: IACUC@southalabama.edu, IRB@southalabama.edu, or IBC@southalabama.edu
Once the study is submitted it is automatically locked. You can still access it, but you can no longer edit any documents. If minor changes are required before your study can be reviewed, any full access member on the project may contact the respective Research Compliance office via email or phone and request that the study be unlocked for minor revision(s). For contact information go here.
NO STUDY WILL BE UNLOCKED AFTER REVIEW FOR CHANGES BY FULL ACCESS MEMBERS!!
In the Project Overview tab (left side of the screen), your study will have "Pending Review" status until the appropriate committee reviews it and enters an action for the project (approved, modifications required/information requested, disapproved, etc). An email notice is sent to the Principal Investigator (and all other persons with full access) whenever an action has been taken by the appropriate review committee.