Transfer & Adult Orientation - Spring/Summer Semester
Welcome to Southbound Orientation! You are here because you are an undergraduate student who is:
- transferring from another institution to complete your degree,
- 23 years of age or older and have not yet attended college, or
- seeking a second bachelor’s degree.
- Transfer or second bachelor's students admitted to the professional component of nursing and graduate students will receive a specialized orientation through their departments.
- Nursing students are encouraged to attend Southbound Orientation to prepare for their transition to the university. The departmental orientation includes limited university information and focuses on the nursing program.
- Transient and non-degree seeking students are not required to attend orientation, but can opt to do so.
- First-year freshmen should register for a Freshman Orientation session.
In an effort to prepare all of our new Jaguars for their transition to South, we host multiple orientation sessions that new undergraduate students are required to attend. Spaces for each session will fill up quickly, so we encourage you to register as soon as possible to secure your preferred session. Registration for Southbound New Student Orientation for Spring 2024 will open late fall and for Summer 2024 in early spring.
We look forward to helping our new Jaguars transition to USA!
Congratulations on your admission to South! We are so excited that you have decided to join the Jaguar family. Here are the steps to take to become a student at USA:
- Activate your JagNet Student Account at southalabama.edu/services/jagnet.
- Login to your JagMail and PAWS (Personal Access Web System) accounts at southalabama.edu/logins.
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid for financial aid at fafsa.gov (FAFSA opens up October 1st). Visit the USA One Stop Financial Resources page at southalabama.edu/onestop/resources.
- Log in to JagSPOT at southalabama.edu/scholarships to:
- Search and apply for additional USA scholarships in JagSPOT.
- Complete your special programs application in JagSPOT, if you meet the requirements and desire consideration.
- Transfer students who wish to live on campus can complete a housing application at the USA housing portal. See southalabama.edu/departments/housing for more details.
- Register for Southbound, your New Student Orientation, and pay the fee in your admissions
portal. Visit southalabama.edu/orientation for more information.
- Summer and Fall orientation registration opens in January.
- Spring orientation registration opens in November
- Submit immunization information and records through the Student Health Web Portal
Please contact the Student Health Center at (251) 460-7151, if you need assistance.
- Request final official transcript(s) be submitted to South if you have not yet done so.
- Meet with your academic advisor to register for courses in PAWS. Your advisor will contact you for an appointment after you register for orientation. Some students may be required to take a placement test.
- Attend your scheduled orientation.
- After semester billing posts to your student account, pay tuition or set up a payment plan via PAWS. See southalabama.edu/onestop/resources.html for more information.
- Order your textbooks
- Submit JagID photo to the Student Center’s Jag Card Office at southalabama.edu/departments/studentcenter/photosubmission.html. You will be notified via JagMail when you can pick up your JagID.
- Visit our campus or check out other opportunities at southalabama.edu/visit.
- Complete Title IX training to ensure we are working together to keep our campus a safe environment for everyone. You should receive an email to your JagMail and should email email@example.com if you need assistance.
- If you have a vehicle or bicycle on campus, register with USA Parking Services to secure your parking pass at southalabama.t2hosted.com/Account/Portal.
- If you need accommodations, please contact the Center for Educational Accessibility & Disability Resources at southalabama.edu/sds to learn more.
- Review financial and academic deadlines on the academic calendar, southalabama.edu/academiccalendar/academiccalendar2021-22.html.
- If you’re interested in the Student & Scholar Health Insurance, be sure to review the health insurance plan information for details at southalabama.edu/studenthealth/insurance.
- Complete the brief on-line alcohol prevention program, Alcohol eCHECKUP TO GO, at https://interwork.sdsu.edu/echeckup/usa/alc/coll/index.php?id=USA&hfs=true#main. Your responses will remain confidential.
- Complete the USA Sports Interest Survey, a tool that aids in sports planning and programming at https://southalabama.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_55UFcbjTrVwXutL.
- If you are interested in departmental programs (for example, Jaguar Marching Band), be sure to check the department’s website to learn about the requirements to join.
- Check out our student organizations and ways to get involved. Visit southalabama.edu/departments/studentactivities.
If you have additional questions, please call or email the New Student Orientation Office: