SoTL | Scholarship of Teaching and Learning
The SoTL USA program seeks to provide faculty with the tools to design, develop, and implement scholarship of teaching and learning (SoTL) research projects at South Alabama. One approach to addressing the question of student success is to take a scholarly approach to instructional design and engage in SoTL. Perhaps you have a question about the effectiveness of a particular teaching approach or assignment structure and its impact on student learning, well being or persistence in the major. This Institute will launch you on the path of framing a question, designing the appropriate inquiry into the question, and how you might collect evidence that allows you to discover the answer! Not only do you improve student learning, you gain increased satisfaction and fulfillment in your teaching.
The two-day Institute provides the necessary theoretical foundation and resources for developing a SoTL investigation from start to finish. Participants can expect to receive peer and facilitator feedback throughout the implementation phase of their project and to disseminate the results of their project at a SoTL Showcase in 2024. Faculty receive up to a $1000 stipend for completing all milestones:
- Summer SoTL Institute | May 23-24 | Attendance and completion of deliverables ($400)
- Winter SoTL Reunion | January | Attendance and completion of deliverables ($300)
- Dissemination of SoTL Study Results at CoTL and/or submission to a peer-reviewed journal ($300)
Dr. Melanie Hamilton will be the facilitator for this workshop.
- Tuesday, May 23, 2023 | Hybrid Full Day | 9:00am-3:30pm | CEADR
9:00am | Welcome & Introduction to SoTL
10:15am | Break
10:30am | Getting Started
12:00pm | Lunch
1:00pm | Methodologies
2:15pm | Break
2:30pm | Students as Partners
3:30pm | End of Day 1
- Wednesday, May 24, 2023 | Hybrid Full Day | 10:00am-3:30pm | CEADR
10:00am | Engaging in SoTL Research
11:15am | Lunch
12:30pm | SoTL Hack-a-Thon
2:00pm | Ethics & IRB
2:30pm | Dissemination & Next Steps
3:30pm | End of Day 2
- Winter SoTL Reunion | January half day feedback session
- CoTL Presentation | May 2024
Applications are closed.
Questions? Please email email@example.com.