Travel In-state/Out-of-State

As of August 01, 2023 employees who travel on official University business will be reimbursed for the following expenses.  


Actual expenses for lodging, not to exceed single occupancy rates, are allowable. When more than one University employee is staying in the same room, the names of all occupants must be listed on the travel expense report. In this case, double occupancy will be reimbursed. If the traveler occupies a double room with family/friends, the University will reimburse at the single occupancy rate. The single occupancy rate must be claimed on the travel expense report. It is expected that employees will obtain reasonably priced accommodations. A zero balance receipt is required to be submitted with the travel reimbursement.

Receipts are required for reimbursement. A detailed hotel bill is considered a receipt. It should include: name, address and telephone number of the hotel; dates and the daily charge for the room; and number of occupants. Credit card receipts alone are not acceptable.


The traveler will be reimbursed for actual expenses for meals (excluding alcoholic beverages) up to a maximum amount of $55.00 per day for each day of travel. Tips related to meals should be included in the meal costs reported. Please note that the traveler is required to show actual expenses for meals, even though receipts are not required. If a conference registration fee was paid that included payment for one or more meals, the traveler is required NOT claim any additional reimbursement for that meal.

During partial days of travel, reimbursement for meals will be made according to the following departure/arrival times:

Day of departure from Mobile

  • Breakfast will be reimbursed if departure is before 7:00 a.m.
  • Lunch will be reimbursed if departure is before 11:00 a.m.
  • Dinner will be reimbursed if departure is before 5:00 p.m.

Day of arrival in Mobile

  • Breakfast will be reimbursed if arrival is after 8:00 a.m.
  • Lunch will be reimbursed if arrival is after 1:00 p.m.
  • Dinner will be reimbursed if arrival is after 7:00 p.m.

Travelers will not be reimbursed for taxi fares to and from meals.

Federal and State tax regulations consider reimbursement for meal expenses incurred during out-of-state travel not requiring an overnight stay to be taxable income. The University will report the meal reimbursement on IRS Form W-2 Wage and Tax Statement as earnings, and appropriate taxes will be deducted from the traveler's paycheck. Taxable travel should be charged to account code 730100.

Other Allowable Expenses

The Internal Revenue Service requires that receipts be provided for all expenditures that cost $75.00 or more. This requirement is in addition to the receipts required below:

  Receipt Required?
Meals     No
Registration fees Yes
Repairs to University vehicles Yes
Gasoline for University vehicles Yes
Rental automobile (see limitations) Yes
Parking Yes
Telephone calls (Note: Personal calls are not allowable) Yes
Tips (for items other than meals) No
Checked baggage fees Yes
Bridge tolls No
Taxi fares and limousine service over $25 Yes

Non-Allowable Expenses (Not All-Inclusive)

There are certain expenditures that are considered personal expenses and will not be reimbursed as a part of the employee's travel reimbursement. These include, but are not limited to:

  • Alcoholic beverages
  • Valet and laundry services
  • Recreational/personal activities (in-room movies, exercise room fees). This applies to recreational activities even when they are a part of a conference.
  • Hotel safe charges
  • Passports
  • Personal telephone calls
  • In-flight airline phone usage
  • Frequent flyer upgrades
  • Taxicab fares to and from meals
  • Fees such as costs for failure to cancel room reservations, annual credit card fees, airline club room fee
  • Seating upgrades on air travel
  • Any insurance other than damage waiver

Advance Payments

Advance payments of lodging expenses are not allowed. Advance payments of meal expenses are not allowed except when the organization conducting the function requires a prepaid registration fee that includes meal costs. Advance payments are allowed for intercollegiate athletic teams and other student group travel..

Travel Reimbursement

Requests for reimbursement of authorized out-of-state travel expenses should be submitted in Concur for all University employees. Requests for reimbursement for guests and students should be submitted on the official University travel reimbursement form (Click here to access the University travel reimbursement form) and must have the traveler's signature in the certification space. All requests for reimbursement must be approved by the department head and appropriate dean or administrator and must indicate the specific purpose of the trip and all applicable receipts should be attached. The dates and hours of departure and return, length of stay documentation, points of travel, mode of transportation, mileage (if by private automobile), cost of meals and lodging, and other allowable expenses should be listed.

Note that when completing the University travel reimbursement form for out-of-state travel the column labeled "Use for In-State travel ONLY" should be left blank. Daily per diem reimbursement is not applicable to out-of-state travel.


See the General Travel Information section for additional information concerning out-of-state travel.