Shelby Hall

Transfer Students

If you’re making a change, or considering your options, we urge you to consider the University of South Alabama. Students like it here. It’s not a small college, but it feels like one. It’s easy to become a Jaguar on the beautiful Gulf Coast.

We want to make it simple to change schools. You should fill out a University of South Alabama transfer application and plan a visit to South. Apply for a South Alabama transfer scholarship while you’re at it. 

Start with our Office of New Student Recruitment at 251-460-7834, or Use the Transfer Center to determine how credits transfer, or contact the Office of the Registrar at

You’re ready for a change. We’re ready to help you make it.


▼   Application Deadlines
Semester of Entry Priority Deadline
Fall (August) July 15
Spring (January) December 1
Summer (June) May 1
▼   Application Fee

If you prefer to mail in your application, print out the application form, fill it out and mail it to:

USA Office of Admissions
2500 Meisler Hall
390 Student Center Circle
Mobile, AL 36688-0002

The undergraduate application fee is valid for one year. If you have paid an undergraduate application fee within the past year, you may request to update your undergraduate application to a different term. This will help you avoid paying another application processing fee. To request your application be updated, please complete the Change of Entry Term Request Form.

▼   Transfer Admission Requirements

Transfer applicants have attended another college or university after high school graduation and earned 12 credit hours or more.

Required Official Documents: An official transcript from each college or university attended. (If the student has earned less than 30 semester or 40 quarter hours, then an official high school transcript is required. If the student graduated from high school less than five years prior to matriculation at USA or is not at least 23 years of age, then ACT or SAT scores are required in addition to the high school transcript).

Academic Requirements: Minimum cumulative grade-point average of 
2.0 is required for unconditional admission (GPA used is that which is computed by USA Admissions). Students must be eligible to re-enroll at the last institution attended. 

Applicants who have earned college credits, but fewer than 30 semester hours, must also satisfy freshman admission requirements.

▼   Pathway USA

Pathway USA is a collaborative program between the University of South Alabama and select local two-year colleges. We support a smooth transition for students transferring to South who have earned an Associate in Arts or Associate in Science degree from one of our participating schools.

With participation in Pathway USA, your admission to South is guaranteed provided you complete your Associate in Arts or Associate in Science Degree with a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher.  The semester before you intend to enroll at USA, you must update or fill out a new USA application for admission.

Learn more about Pathway USA

▼   Transfer Credit

The University of South Alabama transfer credit policy is designed to facilitate the transfer of students and their coursework from one college or university to another, assure the maximum utilization of work accomplished at another institution, and encourage students to advance toward graduation in four years.

The University of South Alabama accepts transfer work from regionally accredited post-secondary institutions. Incoming transfer coursework will be evaluated against the University of South Alabama bulletin in effect for the semester and year in which the student enrolls at the University. A University of South Alabama equivalent course, disciplinary elective or general elective will be assigned based on comparability of the course content.

Learn more about Transfer Credit


Stars is a web-accessible database system which provides guidance and direction for prospective transfer students in the state of Alabama. The STARS system allows public two-year students in Alabama to obtain a Transfer Guide/Agreement for the major of their choice.

Learn More about STARS

For Area V requirements, click here.

▼   Admitted Student Checklist

Top Priority

  • Activate your JagNet Student Account at
  • Login to your JagMail and PAWS (Personal Access Web System) accounts
  • Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid for financial aid at
    (FAFSA opens up October 1st). Visit the USA One Stop Financial Resources
    page at
  •  If you plan to live on campus, apply for USA Housing at and pay deposit.
  • Register for Southbound, your New Student Orientation, and pay the fee in your admissions portal. Visit for more information.
    • Summer and Fall orientation registration opens in January.
    • Spring orientation registration opens in November.
  • Submit immunization information and records through the Student Health Web
    Portal at Please contact the Student Health Center at 251-460-7151, if you need assistance.
  • Request final official transcript(s) be submitted to South, if you have not yet
    done so.
  • Meet with your academic advisor to register for courses in PAWS. Your advisor
    will contact you for an appointment after you register for orientation. Some
    students may be required to take a placement test.
  • Attend your scheduled orientation.
  • After semester billing posts to your student account, pay tuition or set up a payment plan via PAWS. See for
    additional information.
  • Order your textbooks and other materials for classes as required.


Strongly Encouraged

Download PDF