Jaguar Investment Fund
Student-managed investment funds provide unique opportunities for students to gain real money management experience. The Jaguar Investment Fund gives students the reins to a portfolio of real dollars.
Each student gives regular Analyst Reports to the class. Analyst Reports may include status reports on economic conditions within a sector or geographic region, information updates on the performance of existing positions, and pitches for new positions or other trading actions. Students work together in groups for their stock pitch presentations.
The Jaguar Investment Fund’s purpose is to introduce and teach students how to actively manage a portfolio. The objective of the Jaguar Investment Fund is to enrich student education through active participation in financial markets. Students perform stock selection and management of a real portfolio, thus gaining hands-on money management experience. They learn to deal with the uncertainty inherent in the process of estimating stock value and contrasting it to stock price. The process helps students to develop their intuition and provide a practical application for investment decisions. To accomplish these goals the Jaguar Investment Fund:
- provides students with real-world experience implementing investment selection and management principles
- offers students the opportunity to attain knowledge through the application of concepts learned in their coursework
- encourages students to acquire a deeper and more complex understanding of the concepts taught throughout their college studies
- exposes students to a number of alternative investment strategies
- increases students’ verbal communication and presentation skills through weekly roundtable discussions on a variety of topics that relate to the active management of investment capital
- teaches prudent management practices by controlling the costs of managing and administering the fund.