Registering for MRSEF - A Scienteer account is required.
We will not accept any physical paperwork for Fair participants.
Deadlines to be aware of:
Teacher/Student Registration in Scienteer by December 1, 2022.
Experiment information must be submitted electronically for review to the Office of Compliance by January 31, 2023 through Scienteer.
All forms must be submitted through your Scienteer Account no later than February 17, 2023.
Each entrant must complete the following:
- Be registered into Scienteer by their teacher
- Log in and submit all forms online/complete all steps within Scienteer
- Routinely check Scienteer for updates from Fair administrators and Teachers for feedback until project is fully approved
- South Alabama Image Release Form - email to MRSEF@southalabama.edu
Scienteer Information - Setting Up Student Accounts
- Fair Administrator will send email link to "point of contact" teacher at each participating school
- POC Teacher must set up an account and add additional teachers
- Each additional teacher will receive an email link and must set up their own account
- Each teacher must email link to students
- Student sets up their own account (no group/team projects allowed)
- Students follow the link to set up their account (requires a student email and parent email address-they can be the same)
- Parents get an email from Scienteer to approve student participation
- If a parent does not have an email address, click on your student list in Scienteer and look for "Register New Student." You can manually register a student there, using a printed copy of the parent permission form.
Students Scienteer Steps:
- Student create an account and get parental approval
- Pick project name and category (we do not allow team projects)
- Answer Scienteer survey questions (their responses determine which forms are needed)
- Fill out research plan info (teacher reviews and students revise)
- Get signatures for any "extra" forms (SRC & IRB if required) - Deadline for SRC/IRB submission is January 31, 2023
- Teacher Approves
- SRC/IRB Approval (If needed)
Once SRC/IRB approved (if required) experimentation can begin
- Write project abstract
- Finish remaining steps in Scienteer
- Routinely check Scienteer for feedback from teacher and Fair administrator
Failure to follow proper registration or approval procedures will result in disqualification.
Please note: It is the responsibility of the student entrant and his/her teacher to read and understand our rules completely prior to beginning work on a project and to recognize any special approval and/or form requirements.
If you have any questions regarding the approval and documentation requirements of your specific research project, please contact Angela Williams (firstname.lastname@example.org), Research Compliance & Assurance, at (251) 460-6509 prior to beginning any work on your project. These types of approvals require significant time, so please contact Ms. Williams between August 2022 and January 31, 2023 through Scienteer.
Because of the time constraints involved, we can not guarantee approval of any projects submitted after this date involving human subjects, vertebrate animals, potentially hazardous substances or biological agents, or human and vertebrate animal tissues.
Deadline to submit to Compliance for review is January 31, 2023.