Dr. Dhananjay T. Tambe
- Postdoctoral Training, Harvard School of Public Health
- Ph.D. Mechanics of Solids and Structures, Brown University
- M.S. Applied Mathematics, Brown University
- M.Tech. Mechanical Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Madras
- B.S. Mechanical Engineering, University of Pune
An overarching goal of my research lab is to apply the principles of mechanics and material science to identify the physical rules that govern the function of cells, tissues, and organs. While seeking to identify the fundamental rules of life, we invest significant efforts in using automation technologies to build innovative products for life sciences researchers and healthcare providers.
As part of the Center for Lung Biology team, we primarily focus on the mechanobiology of lungs. Several of our ongoing projects involve identifying the physical laws that govern migration, deformation, division, detachment and death of lung endothelial cells. These projects are designed to (a) improve our understanding of the basic science of the endothelial cells, (b) identify novel mechanical modulators of lung pathologies including pulmonary hypertension, sepsis, and acute lung injury.
- Integrative Toolkit to Analyze Cellular Signals: Forces, Motion, Morphology, and Fluorescence A Nguyen, K Battle, SS Paudel, N Xu, J Bell, L Ayers, C Chapman, AP Singh, S Palanki, T Rich, DF Alvarez, T Stevens, DT Tambe, Journal of Visualized Experiments, (181) e63095, 2022
- Impact of Na+ permeation on collective migration of pulmonary arterial endothelial cells N Xu, L Ayers, V Pastukh, M Alexeyev, T Stevens, DT Tambe, Public Library of Sciences - One 16 (4), e0250095, 2021
- Unleashing shear: Role of intercellular traction and cellular moments in collective cell migration NG Patel, A Nguyen, N Xu, S Ananthasekar, DF Alvarez, T Stevens, DT Tambe Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, 522 (2), 279-285 2020
- Mechanical Signaling in a Pulmonary Microvascular Endothelial Cell Monolayer G Patel, N Xu, A Nguyen, DF Alvarez, JJ Fredberg, T Stevens, DT Tambe Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, 519 (2), 337-343 2019
- Collective Cell Guidance by Cooperative Intercellular Forces
DT Tambe, CC Hardin, TE Angelini, K Rajendran, CY Park, ...
Nature materials 10 (6), 469 547 2011
- Monolayer Stress Microscopy: Limitations, Artifacts, and Accuracy of Recovered Intercellular
DT Tambe, U Croutelle, X Trepat, CY Park, JH Kim, E Millet, JP Butler, ...
Public Library of Sciences - One 8 (2), e55172 86 2013
- Long-range Stress Transmission Guides Endothelial Gap Formation
CC Hardin, J Chattoraj, G Manomohan, J Colombo, T Nguyen, D Tambe, ... Biochemical and biophysical research communications 495 (1), 749-754 2018
- High-throughput Screening for Modulators of Cellular Contractile Force
CY Park, EH Zhou, D Tambe, B Chen, T Lavoie, M Dowell, A Simeonov, ...
Integrative Biology 7 (10), 1318-1324 33 2015
- Monolayer Stress Microscopy
DT Tambe, JJ Fredberg, J Butler, X Trepat
US Patent 9,714,932 2017
- Multi-Well Plate System to Assess Cellular Mechanobiology
DT Tambe, N Patel
For additional Publications:
- EG 315 - Mechanics of Materials
- ME 314- Machine Component Design
- ME 410 - Principles of Design
- ME 490 - Cell Mechanics
- ME 583 - Applied Elasticity
- ME 490/590 / IDL 590 - Introduction to Digital Image Processing in Automation and Biomedical Engineering
- IDL 635 - Advanced Signal Transduction (module on Mechanical Signaling in the Cells)
Directed Independent Study on the following topics:
- Automation Technology
Faculty Advisor: Society of Women Engineers, Jaguar Cricket Club