- Ph.D. University of Michigan,
Ann Arbor, 2003
- M.A. Jawaharlal Nehru University,
New Delhi, India , 1994
- B.A Jawaharlal Nehru University,
New Delhi, India, 1992
Director: Graduate Certificate in Spanish for Healthcare Professionals
- Spanish American Literature and Culture:
- Andean Literature and Culture,
- US Hispanic Literature
- South Asian Culture and Literature
- Medical Humanities
- Literary Theory
- Subaltern Studies
- Women's Studies
- Film Studies
- "El Maps de Luto and The Chimera of a Kharisiri State: Subjectivity, Territoriality and the State in La senda de Kharisiri.” Forthcoming Bulletin of Spanish Studies: Hispanic Studies and Researches on Spain, Portugal and Latin America. 99 (2022)
- "The Novel as Dislocation : Latin America and the United States in Edmundo Paz Soldán's Norte" A Contracorriente: Una revista de estudios latinoamericanos. , Spring 2021.
- "Like a Condemned Sacred Fire: Transnational Capital and Reading as Recovery and Erasure.” Transmodernity: Journal of Peripheral Cultural Production of Luso-Hispanic World. 8.1 (2018).
- "Dismantling the Narrative Machine: Language, National Narratives and Postnational Flux in Carmen Boullosa's La novela perfecta. " Literature, Interpretation, Theory. 27.2 (2016).
- "Bare Life, Indigenous Viscerality and Cholo Barbarity in Jesús Lara's Yanakuna." Transmodernity: Journal of Peripheral Cultural Production of Luso-Hispanic World.3.2 (2014): 15-39.
- "'Pirate Utopias': From the Archive to Homeless Writing in Edmundo Paz Soldán's Novels." Bulletin of Spanish Studies: Hispanic Studies and Researches on Spain, Portugal and Latin America . 91.6 (2014): 913-937.
- "Chuño Palma: A National Subject in Mother's Time." A Contracorriente (Winter 2010): 137-164.
- "Oscar Cerruto's Aluvión de fuego: An Incomplete Narrative of a Fragmented Bolivian Nation." Chasqui 38.1 (2009): 84-103.
- "Moon, Stars and Sharing the Sky of Nationhood in Cristina García's The Aguero Sisters." Hispanófila 154 (2008): 73-86.
- "The Emergence of Mestizaje in the Works of Adolfo Costa du Rels." The Latin Americanist 50.1 (2006): 74-102.
Non Peer-Reviewed Article
- "Acercamientos a estudios de recepción: dos obras sobre India y el mundo hispánico." (trad.) Rita Fernández. Papeles de La India. Vol. 25, 1997, 112-129.
- Rev. of Embers of the Past: Essays in the Wake of Decolonization by Javier Sanjinés C. Bulletin of Spanish Studies: Hispanic Studies and Researches on Spain, Portugal and Latin America. Forthcoming.
- Rev. of Writing Across Cultures: Narrative Transculturation in Latin America by Angel Rama. Bulletin of Spanish Studies: Hispanic Studies and Researches on Spain, Portugal and Latin America. 91.7 (2014): 1014-1015.
- Rev. of The Andes Imagined: Indigenismo, Society and Modernity by Jorge Coronado. The Latin Americanist. 53.4 (2009): 72-75.
All levels of graduate and undergraduate language, culture and literature classes.
LG 592 The Urban Space in the Latin American Novel of 20th and 21st Centuries
LG 592 Motherhood and the State in the Latin American Novel of Late Nineteenth and Early Twentieth Centuries
LG 592 Themes and Tendencies of Contemporary Latin American Literature
LG 592 The Pioneers: Feminine Interventions in Political, Social and Literary Debates during the Nineteenth Century in the Hispanic World
LG 592 Nation and Technology in the Contemporary Detective Novel in Latin America
LG 592 Seminar on Jorge Luís Borges
LG 592 Peru in the Novels of Mario Vargas Llosa
LG 592 Writing Home: The Latin American Novel in the United States
Undergraduate Honors Theses
Director, Khanh Trinh, Fantasy Worlds and Modern Lives: Modernity and the Fantastic Literature in Latin America and Asia. Departmental Honors in Progress.
Director, Megan Heatherly. Representations of Immigrants in Contemporary Spanish Cinema, University Honors Program, Spring 2012.
Director, Tina O'Shea. The Healing Touch: An Interdisciplinary Study of the Perceptions of the Physician in Early Twentieth-Century Latin America and the United States, University Honors Program, Fall 2008-Spring 2009.
Reader, Kristen Blosser. Peru: A Country of Two Concurrent National Identities. University Honors Program, Fall 2012-Spring 2013.
Reader, Monica Whatley. Eastern European Immigration to the United States 1990-2010, University Honors Program, Fall 2010-Spring 2011.
Reader, Katie Hardin. Representation of Southern Identity in Contemporary Southern Literature, University Honors Program, Spring-Summer 2010.
Reader, John Havard. Departmental Honors Thesis in English, Fall 2004.
UCUR ( University Council of Undergraduate Research)
Director, Khanh Trinh, "Ethereal Worlds: Surrealism, the Fantastic, and Experience in the Works of Julio Cortázar and Phương Bình Nguyễn," Summer 2014.
Director, Megan Heatherly "'Illegal' Bodies: Latin American Immigrants in Contemporary Spanish Cinema," Summer 2011.
Presenter, "Writing and Revision UCUR Workshop," Summer 2013, Summer 2014 and Summer 2015.
Reader, Rachael McCarty. Imprisonment and the Captive Body: Postcolonial Reactions to Victorian Gender Identity in God of Small Things and Nervous Conditions. English Department, Spring 2014.
Reader, Ashley Kidd Gordon. The Circumstance of Maternity in William Faulkner's The Sound and The Fury, As I Lay Dying and Light in August English Department, Summer 2014.
Reader, Peggy Tran. Creative Writing, Memories and Morsels, English Department, Spring 2009.
Reader, Amber Wingfield. Film and Literature, English Department, 2008.