The Office of General Counsel is charged with providing legal assistance for all institutional issues of the University and those of USA Health. The Board of Trustees, the President, the Provost, Vice Presidents, and other designated administrative officers may seek legal guidance directly from the Office of General Counsel. Other employees, staff, faculty, or departments should direct legal requests through one of the administrators noted above.
Some of the services we provide to the University include:
- Managing all litigation involving the University;
- Drafting and/or reviewing and approving University contracts through the University’s Contract Approval System;
- Investigating and responding to claims involving the University made to state and federal administrative agencies;
- Drafting and maintaining the University’s Template Library;
- Drafting, revising, and interpreting University policies;
- Coordinating responses to third-party subpoenas;
- Managing open record requests; and
- Conducting University training.
The Office of General Counsel aims to provide prompt and pertinent guidance to University administrators navigating the complex and ever-changing higher education legal landscape. By staying abreast of current legal developments, the Office of General Counsel is able to proactively support the University’s educational mission.