Bachelor of Science in Emergency Medical Services
The Department of Emergency Medical Services offers the Bachelor's of Science degree
in Emergency Medical Services (EMS) for students interested in a career in pre-hospital
medicine and EMS management. As the field of EMS continues to grow and change, leaders
and educators with a background in emergency medicine are needed to help shape the
future of pre-hospital medicine and healthcare. This program is designed to prepare
students for the clinical and administrative challenges of a career in Emergency Medical
Services and healthcare in the 21st century.
The University of South Alabama is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award bachelor’s, master’s, specialist, and doctoral degrees. Questions about the accreditation of the University of South Alabama may be directed in writing to the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, GA 30033-4097, by calling (404) 679-4500, or by using information available on SACSCOC’s website.
- Students must have completed ALL general education requirements prior to applying for admission.
- Submission of a completed application by the semester deadline. Application must include a $50.00 non-refundable application fee.
- Successful completion of a state-approved (meeting DOT guidelines) or nationally accredited paramedic education program.
- Evidence of either a current paramedic license (in USA) or national registry certification (in good standing).
- Minimum GPA of 2.0 in all pre-requisite courses and a minimum University GPA of 2.0.
- Drug test and background check required. Admission contingent upon a negative drug screen and satisfactory background check.
University of South Alabama
Pat Capps Covey College of Allied Health Professions
Department of Emergency Medical Services
600 Clinic Drive – Suite 400
Mobile, AL 36688-0002