Special Education (Collaborative Teacher) K-6 or 6-12 Ed.S.

Elementary classroom with tables and chairs


The Educational Specialist (Ed.S.) program prepares individuals who have a master’s degree and a teaching certificate in any area. There are two certification options at the Educational Specialist level for students interested in teaching students with disabilities. Students choose elementary (K-6) or secondary (6-12) areas of specialization.

The Ed.S. in Special Education is a 30-hour program that provides advanced study for teachers who already hold a Class A certificate in any area. Courses are delivered in a variety of formats via online format, blended format that combines on-campus face-to-face instruction with significant electronic use, and web-enhanced format that is taught face-to-face and supplemented by online components. Upon completion of the program, students are eligible for the Class AA, K-6 or 6-12 Collaborative Teacher Certificate.



Collaborative Teacher K-6 Course of Study

Collaborative Teacher 6-12 Course of Study


▼   Admission Requirements
  1. Master’s degree from a regionally accredited institution with a minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.

    *USA students applying to a USA graduate program in the College of Education and Professional Studies should complete a transcript request form (PDF) found on the University Registrar's Office website.

    In the Name/Organization field for the transcript recipient write, "USA Graduate School". There is no charge associated with this request. This option applies only to USA transcripts for students applying to USA graduate programs.

  2. A valid master’s-level (Class A) professional educator certificate in any teaching field.

  3. Two-page narrative on applicant's career goals and purpose for graduate study.

    To apply - click here to get to the Admissions login page.


Academic Advisor

Abigail Baxter, Ph.D.
Special Education
Ph: (251) 380-2767