8 Dimensions of Wellness
Wellness is being in good physical and mental health. Because mental health and physical health are linked, problems in one area can impact the other. At the same time, improving your physical health can also benefit your mental health, and vice versa. It is important to make healthy choices for both your physical and mental well-being.
Remember that wellness is not the absence of illness or stress. You can still strive for wellness even if you are experiencing these challenges in your life.
The Eight Dimensions of Wellness are:
- Emotional—Coping effectively with life and creating satisfying relationships
- Environmental—Good health by occupying pleasant, stimulating environments that support well-being
- Financial—Satisfaction with current and future financial situations
- Intellectual—Recognizing creative abilities and finding ways to expand knowledge and skills
- Occupational—Personal satisfaction and enrichment from one’s work
- Physical—Recognizing the need for physical activity, healthy foods and sleep
- Social—Developing a sense of connection, belonging and a well-developed support system
- Spiritual—Expanding a sense of purpose and meaning in life