In-State Travel

As a result of a change in Alabama statute the University of South Alabama has made changes to the in-state travel policy. Effective August 1, 2023 University employees traveling within the State of Alabama on University business will be reimbursed according to the University's current out-of-state travel policy. Please note this change is effective for in-state travel that occurred on or after August 1, 2023.  Any in-state travel that occurred prior to August 1, 2023 will fall under the in-state travel policy in effect at the time of travel which includes reimbursement based on the applicable in-state per diems as indicated below.

In-State Travel Policy effective prior to August 1, 2023

Effective July 1, 2018, the per diem allowance for in-state travel on or after July 1, 2018 will be as follows:

  • For in-state travel that requires only one overnight stay the per diem allowance will be $85.00 per day.
  • For in-state travel that requires two or more overnight stays the per diem allowance will be $100 per day.
  • In-state travel where the travel time is 6 to 12 hours outside of the base area the meal allowance will be $12.75.
  • In-state travel where the travel time is in excess of 12 hours outside of the base area but not overnight the meal allowance will be $34.00.

Exception to overnight per diem:

Effective May 26, 2017, the Governor of Alabama signed House Bill 550, an amendment to the State Travel Law Section 36-7-21, Code of Alabama 1975. This amendment states the following:

"...persons traveling in the service of the state or any of its departments, institutions, boards, bureaus, commissions, councils, committees, or other agencies, outside of the State of Alabama or within the State of Alabama for purposes of attending or assisting in hosting a convention, conference, seminar, or other meeting of a state or national organization of which the state or individual is a dues-paying member that is held within the state shall be allowed all of their actual and necessary expenses in addition to the actual expenses for transportation. In-state travel authorized under this section is subject to the same documentation requirements as out-of-state travel."

Therefore, effective immediately and for all travel that commenced after May 26, 2017, this law will apply. Travel made to a conference or other meeting within the state of Alabama of a state or national organization of which the University or individual  traveler is a dues-paying member will follow the University's out-of-state travel policy instead of the in-state, per-diem policy. Travel forms submitted will need to include documentation proving that the University or traveler is a dues-paying member of the hosting organization.

Per-Diem Examples:

One overnight stay-An individual travels to Montgomery on Monday and returns on Tuesday, that individual is due $170.00 ($85/day, Mon & Tues). The individual only stayed on night, Monday night. 

Two or more overnight stays-An individual travels to Montgomery on Monday and returns on Wednesday, that individual is due $300 ($100/day, Mon, Tues, & Wed). The individual stayed two nights, Monday & Tuesday nights.

Travel Outside the Base Area That Does Not Require Overnight Stay

No travel allowance shall be paid for a trip of less than six hours. The traveler shall be paid a meal allowance of $12.75 for a trip of six to 12 hours. For travel in excess of 12 hours, but not overnight, the traveler shall be paid $34.00.

Example: An employee leaves the University at 7:00 a.m., travels to Montgomery and returns at 3:00 p.m. the same day. This traveler is absent for eight hours and is entitled to a meal allowance of $12.75.

Example: An employee leaves the University at 8:00 a.m., travels to Montgomery and returns to the University at 9:00 p.m. the same day. The traveler is absent for 13 hours and is entitled to an allowance of $34.00.

Federal and State tax regulations consider reimbursement for meal allowances paid to University employees for in-state travel not requiring an overnight stay to be taxable income. The University will report the meal allowance on IRS Form W-2 Wage and Tax Statement as earnings, and appropriate taxes will be deducted from the traveler's paycheck. 

Base Area

The base area generally consists of the city limits of Mobile. The base area for USA Baldwin County generally consists of the city limits of Fairhope.

Other Allowable Expenses

The Internal Revenue Service requires that receipts be provided for all expenditures that cost $75.00 or more. This requirement is in addition to the receipts required below. 

  Receipt Required?
Registration fees Yes
Repairs to University vehicles Yes
Gasoline for University vehicles Yes
Rental automobile (see limitations) Yes
Parking Yes
Telephone calls (Note: Personal calls are not allowable) Yes
Tips (for items other than meals) No
Taxi fares and limousine service $25 and under No
Taxi fares and limousine service over $25  Yes

(Note: Taxi fares to and from meals are not allowable)

Non-Allowable Expenses (Not All-Inclusive)

Valet services, laundry, alcoholic beverages, recreational activities, personal telephone calls, taxis to and from meals, and other personal expenses will not be reimbursed as part of in-state expenses.

Waiving Per Diem

When an employee's travel expenses are less than per diem allowance, the employee may choose to be reimbursed for the actual cost of travel. In this case, a signed statement in which the traveler voluntarily waives the per diem allowance must be included with the In-state Travel Form (Click here to access the Waiver of Per Diem form for In-State Travel). The employee should still indicate the hours of departure and return even though the per diem is waived.

Advance Payments

Except for intercollegiate athletics team travel, advance payments of lodging and meals are not allowable for travel within the State. 

Travel Status Car Mileage

While traveling in-state, employees will be reimbursed for travel status car mileage at the federal standard mileage rate. Employees are entitled to a mileage allowance from their base station to their destination and return or for miles actually traveled from home to their destination and return, whichever is less. Normal commutes from the employee's home to their work base are not considered travel status car mileage and will not be reimbursed.

In-State Travel

Requests for reimbursement of authorized in-state travel expenses should be submitted on the official University Travel Reimbursement form (click here to access the University Travel Reimbursement form) It must have the traveler's signature in the certification space, and be approved by the department head and the appropriate dean or administrator. The purpose of the trip should be indicated and applicable receipts should be attached. The dates and hours of departure and return, length of stay documentation, points of travel, mode of transportation, mileage (if by private automobile), and the per diem and transportation expense claimed should be indicated on this form. The hours of departure and return should be indicated even though the employee is waiving the per diem reimbursement. 


See the General Travel Information section for additional information concerning out-of-state travel.