University of South Alabama Logo     
Policy No: 2114
Responsible Office: Auxiliary Services
Last Review Date: 05/13/2024
Next Required Review: 05/13/2029
Policy No: 2114
Responsible Office: Auxiliary Services
Last Review Date: 05/13/2024
Next Required Review: 05/13/2029

Mobile Concessions (Food Truck/Cart) Policy

1. Purpose

This policy addresses the appropriate and acceptable way for University departments and recognized student organizations to invite mobile concessions operations on campus.

2. Applicability

This policy applies to all University employees, Alumni Association, and students who would like to invite mobile concessions on campus.  The policy does not apply to non-USA affiliated groups as they are not eligible to invite food trucks to campus.

3. Definitions

Mobile Concessions:  A food truck or food cart.
Food Truck:  Any motorized or non-motorized vehicle, trailer, or other device designed to be portable and not permanently attached to the ground from which food is vended, served, or offered for sale.  A food truck is a large vehicle with a kitchen on the inside. Staff prepares food in the kitchen and serves customers through a side window. 
Food Cart:  Food carts are small kitchen carts with wheels that are pushed by hand or bike, or can also be towed by a vehicle. Food carts are not full-sized kitchens. Because of this, they are limited to serving one or two meals and a few prepackaged snacks or drinks.

4. Policy Guidelines

Mobile Concessions Guidelines
  • Food trucks/carts must prevent the disposal of any materials, including rinse or wash water, any spoiled materials or any waste into streets, gutters, storm drains, or bodies of water. No grease or discharge of any kind should go into the storm or local drain system;
  • All trash generated by food production must be collected and removed by the food truck vendor when they leave campus;
  • Third party food trucks/carts must comply with applicable provisions of the agreement between Coca-Cola and the University dated March 2018, and any successor agreement providing exclusive rights for beverage distribution;
  • Sale of alcoholic beverages on University property is strictly prohibited;
  • Food trucks/carts processing debit/credit cards must adhere to the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS). The University reserves the right to revoke a food truck/cart vendor’s permit if violations of this or any other applicable University policy, local, state, or federal laws occur.
  • Vendors are not to connect to the University’s WiFi network.
  • Trucks will park in designated areas with the temporary parking permit prominently displayed;
  • Food trucks/carts can remain in one location no longer than 4 hours;
  • Food trucks/carts may only sell food and beverage items; no other goods, wares, or other items may be sold;
  • Food trucks/carts will only be allowed to advertise on campus on the truck itself;
  • Food trucks/carts must obey all applicable parking, traffic and vehicle safety laws, regulations, and restrictions;
  • A safety inspection must be completed by the designated Safety & Environmental Compliance representative and vendors must have an annual inspection in date to operate;
  • Set up must be more than 10 feet from a building/facility;
  • Separation between food trucks must be at least 10 feet apart;
  • No blocking of sidewalks, accessibility ramps and access, fire lanes, streets, or traffic flow;
  • All fire extinguishers should have an annual inspection in date.

5. Procedures

Procedures for securing space and University approvals for mobile concessions hosted on campus are as follows:
5.1  Mobile Concessions Reservation Process
Third party food trucks/carts are permitted only in outdoor spaces and must have completed the reservation process.  Food trucks/carts must be invited/sponsored by a University department or organization. Food trucks that do not pass inspection and follow all requirements and guidelines will not be allowed to operate on campus.
It is recommended that a food truck/cart vendor be selected from a food vendor list prequalified by the University. A list of approved food truck vendors can be provided by the Office of Vice President for Student Affairs upon request.
5.2  Food/Cart Vendor Approval
5.2.1  If the vendor IS selected from the prequalified list, the University sponsoring department or organization should complete the following items at least 14 days in advance of the event.
      • Obtain an approved food waiver from the Office of Vice President for Student Affairs. Food waiver form is available here;
      • Contact Parking Services to purchase or be assigned parking for a specific date.
5.2.2  If the vendor IS NOT selected from the prequalified list, the University sponsoring department or organization should complete the following items at least 45 days in advance of the event.
    • Obtain approved food waiver from Office of Vice President for Student Affairs. Food waiver form is available here.
    • Complete a Fire & Life Safety Inspection by USA’s Environmental Compliance Office (see Section 5.3 below), then forward notification of approval provided by Fire Marshal to Vice President for Student Affairs Office.
    • Provide Proof of Commercial General Liability insurance coverage with limits as specified by USA including an additional endorsement that name USA as additional insured to Risk Management. See Exhibit C for specifics on USA insurance requirements.  Forward notification of Risk Management approval from Risk Management to Vice President for Student Affairs Office.
    • Contact Parking Services to request purchase or be assigned parking for a specific date. Forward notification of Parking approval to Vice President for Student Affairs Office.
    • Provide a valid Attestation of Compliance (AoC) to the PCI DSS. The AoC will need to be provided to USA’s Treasury Management Department for review and must be dated within the last 12 months prior to conducting business on USA’s campus.
5.3  Fire & Life Safety Inspection
Food trucks/trailers that fry or create heat and grease laden vapors (as per International Fire Code 607 and the International Mechanical Code 304) shall provide the following:
  • Applicable permits
    • Mobile County Health Department should be displayed or accessible on site;
    • Business License from the City of Mobile should be displayed or accessible on site;
    • Annual permit from the City of Mobile, Bureau of Fire Prevention (Annual Food Truck Inspection Sticker to be displayed in the serving window of the unit).
  • Annual certifications
    • Commercial Kitchen Hood (Annual) Inspection Tag;
    • Portable fire extinguisher, minimum 2A:10BC (Annual) Inspection Tag;
    • Class “K” extinguisher (Annual) Inspection Tag;
    • Fire extinguishers (ABC must be certified annually and tagged appropriately);
    • Any fire suppression system must be inspected and tagged annually. (FM200 or ANSUL, etc.);
    • A K Extinguisher is required (as well as an ABC) in all trucks that have open flame and/or produce grease laden vapors.
  • All food trucks are subject to spot inspections by the Safety and Environmental Compliance Department representative when on campus.
Other conditions to monitor will include:
  • Visual inspection of power cords and outlets, cleanliness of the unit and cooking equipment, evidence of grease/grime on the outer shell, and unobstructed path to the exit;
  • Where fuel tanks are stored outside the shell, they shall be properly secured and protected;
  • Exit pathways shall not be diminished or obstructed in any way by placement of the vehicle and/or associated equipment;
  • Food trucks may not park within 10ft of a building;
  • This inspection will not apply to those vendors providing cold items such as ice cream sandwiches, snacks and drinks;
  • A fire extinguisher may be required;

6. Enforcement

These regulations shall be administered and enforced by the Vice President for Student Affairs or other University officials as designated. Those violating these regulations for mobile concessions will be subject to immediate eviction or removal from campus by appropriate University agents or officials and may be subject to legal or University disciplinary action. Students and student organizations operating in violation of these regulations will be subject to disciplinary action under the Student Code of Conduct.

7. Related Documents

7.1  Food Waiver
7.2  Exhibit A - Insurance Requirements
Worker’s Compensation
Statutory (Coverage A)                Statutory
Employers Liability (Coverage B)   $500,000 Each Accident
                                                  $500,000 Disease/Employee
                                                  $500,000 Disease/Policy Limit          
Automobile Liability
Owned Vehicles                            $1,000,000
Non-owned Vehicles                      $1,000,000
Hired Vehicles                               $1,000,000
Commercial General Liability
Aggregate Limit                            $2,000,000
Each Occurrence Limit                   $1,000,000
Products/Completed Operations      $1,000,000
Personal/ Advertising Injury           $1,000,000
Damaged Rented Premises             $100,000
Medical Payments                          $5,000
Additional Endorsements
The vendor shall include the University of South Alabama as additional insured on the Commercial General Liability and Automobile Liability policies, and the Worker’s Compensation policy shall include a waiver of subrogation in favor of the owner.